Wrangell, Alaska

Wrangell, Alaska
Sunrise on Mount Dewey

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Another fabulous week has passed, full of new adventure and experiences. This week we had the most beautiful few days of weather that we have had since we have been here. It as in the upper 40's with clear skies and warm sunshine. I know my friends and family in the southeast experienced a nice bit of snow and ice. Just let me know if any of you need to come to Alaska to warm up! :) We attended another Wrangell High School girls' basketball game Friday evening - and the Wolves won against Haines!

This weekend my fiance arranged for us to pick up 3 crabs from a local fisherman. Crab legs are one of Jim's favorites when it comes to seafood. I have tried crab legs and few times and never have liked it, but with it being fresh and local I decided to give it another try with no luck. The only way so far I have liked crab meat is in crab cakes. Yum! I also did not really like even looking at the crabs. They are huge and alien-like in appearance. As my friend Brandi says, they too much resemble a very, very, very large spider. No thanks.  I did manage to hold one, much to the delight of Jim, after it was basically dead and refused to fight back to my grasp.









We also went to lunch at a diner called Zak's Cafe. While enjoying our meal, the cook began talking to us about various happenings around town. Eventually he said in his New Jersey accent, "Do you guys like tuna?" I slightly shook my head, knowing the only tuna I have had is in tuna salad and I was not a fan. Jim promptly responded with a certain, "YES!". The cook went to the freezer in the back of the dining area and handed over 2 large tuna steaks that he hasn't had a chance to prepare. Jim's eyes lit up and I found myself flipping through Pinterest to find an easy tuna recipe. What I found was very delicious: Asian Sesame Grilled Tuna Steak. We added the tuna to fried rice and fresh crab legs and enjoyed it on our Saturday night date before going to see The Imitation Game at our little one-screen multi-purpose movie theater.


My weekly "God thing":
This week I have been humbled by my insignificant plans that I have for myself, in the realization that I can't begin to understand what is in my best interest. The church we have been attending has just wrapped up a series on prayer and the timing in God's response to our prayers. It is hard to wait and hard to know sometimes if our God is really listening and hearing our prayers. But the thing is, as covered in our morning's sermon, he will ALWAYS respond to our faith. What is prayer without faith but a one-sided conversation? Our faith is our tool for hearing and trusting God's timing and responses to our prayers. I love the song, Till I See You by Hillsong United. It is a nice reminder that I am in existence to praise God in everything I do and that I am trusting in His perfect timing.


No comments:

Post a Comment