Wrangell, Alaska

Wrangell, Alaska
Sunrise on Mount Dewey

Monday, April 20, 2015

I keep having fun up here! Each week continues to bring new experiences and adventures. This week I was privileged to participate in our pubic radio stations membership drive. KSTK - Stikine River Radio has been on the air here in Wrangell for decades and is completely listener supported. I went on air Tuesday morning with other representatives from Wrangell Medical Center to help raise money for the station as well as promote our services at the hospital and our new rehabilitation team. Of course being a Speech Language Pathologist, I also had to mention Better Hearing and Speech Month that is just around the corner and encourage people in our community to be aware of early signs of a hearing, speech, or language disorder by checking out the Identify The Signs Campaign. While I was on the air, my mom was listening online and donated to the radio station so I was able to give her a shout out and play her favorite song: Kokomo by the Beach Boys.


This week we also  had to say goodbye to a new friend who was here for 6 weeks as a traveling physical therapist. Shermaine was a lot of fun to be around and even was brave enough to join me for a few of my insanity workouts. On her last day here she went out at low tide with us to check our crab pots and explore the usually covered ocean floor. I uploaded a video that gives some perspective on how far out the water is at low tide and how awesome and beautiful it is to be down by the water here. 






We have continued to keep Beatrice entertained with trips to the park, however she is much more content now that she has a home to have free range. She still is super excited when we have visitors but otherwise is somewhat well behaved (for a puppy). :)



Speaking of crab pots, Jim is having pretty consistent luck with the pot he is placing out in front of the house each day. He checks the pot at least once a day at low tide. Needless to say, we eat crab multiple times a week. Recently we have had crab bisque, crab spaghetti, crab cakes, and of course crab legs. I don't think Jim will even get tired of eating crab.




HERE IS MY BIG NEWS! A couple of weeks ago, Petersburg, a neighboring town/island contacted me about a second PRN job in their hospital. Currently, this town does not have speech-language services and was interested in setting up a contract for me to travel there about once a week to work. We worked out travel and other details and guess what - my weekly commute to Petersburg and back to Wrangell is by boat! I am obviously still maintaining my previous PRN position with Wrangell Medical Center and I am excited to take on Petersburg to broaden my horizon and supplement my work and experience here in Wrangell. Eric from Breakaway Adventures takes me on a 45 minute boat ride to Petersburg and returns me to Wrangell that same evening. My first trip out was last week and we had ROUGH waters. I was not a fan of the waves but I know we wouldn't travel if it was not safe and I am sure I will adjust to the new commute. Oh and I get to see sea lions on my way to work. No big deal. 




My weekly "God thing": 
This past week marked 3 months living in Wrangell for us. That is a quarter of a year already! We continue to see reassurances of our move every day. There have been so many since we have arrived that I could not begin to count them all. I am just thankful for the courage that we have been given to follow where we were called and to recognize the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives to help us really appreciate all the blessings we have been given. What is amazing is that I know we are nowhere near seeing all of our "God things".





No comments:

Post a Comment